We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Who doesn't buckle up as soon as they get into the car with the one that is falling? Even now the cars warn you with an insistent and annoying sound when you have not put it on or it is incorrectly placed. But what about children and their safety seats? There are no devices or alarms for when the child is unbuckled or the chair is misplaced.
This negligent attitude represents a danger of maximum proportions for the life of the child, since a study carried out by an insurer reveals that 7 out of 10 child safety seats are incorrectly placed in vehicles, which multiplies the risk of child death by 4 in the event of a traffic accident.
Being in a hurry, leaving the safety harness of the child seat somewhat loose, fixing the ISOFIX system incorrectly or improperly anchoring the seat with the vehicle's seat belt are some of the main mistakes parents make when misusing the seat . Misusing child restraint systems is a determining cause of infant mortality on the road, since not only does it increase the risk of the minor dying, but also in 4 out of 5 cases in which they survive, they may suffer injuries and very serious consequences. serious.
Group 0, up to 13 kg. They must always be positioned in the opposite direction to travel, on the passenger seat (with the airbag deactivated) and, failing that, on the rear seats. In the seat, the baby is held by a safety harness with 3 or 5 anchor points.
- Good use. It offers a very good grip. It wraps the baby's body and avoids the contact of the child's head with other elements of the car and of the car seat with the dashboard or the seat.
- Misuse. When the car seat is not properly secured with the seat belt of the front seat, in the event of a crash, it will rotate violently and may end up overturned on the seat. The baby runs the risk of hitting something internal to the vehicle, such as the gear lever or the driver himself. And if the airbag from the front seat, the loads on the baby's head are doubled, which can support a weight of 120 kilos, and also can suffer serious injuries to the neck and head, between 20 and 50 percent more.
Group 1, from 9 to 18 kg. They should be positioned in the direction of travel and, if possible, in the center rear seats.
- Good use. They can be used two systems: ISOFIX and Universal. The ISOFIX restraint system is based on three anchor points: two rigid attachment points (attached to the car body between the backrest and the vehicle seat, which hold the chair at both ends of the base), and a third point anti-rotation anchor. Offers good retention if installed properly. The Universal system uses the car seat belt as the main anchor to the vehicle and, according to experts, is more exposed to misuse. In this restraint system, the belt must always be placed through the passages marked in red on the seat.
- Misuse. If the chair is not secured with the upper ISOFIX strap, in a frontal blow at 50 km / h, children will suffer severe injuries to the head, neck and chest (fractures of the skull, cervical vertebrae and ribs). This situation is greatly aggravated if the lower anchors are not secured, as the chair can be thrown out, possibly injuring other occupants of the car as well. The risk of a child's head injury increases by 50 percent.
If it is not properly fastened with the car belt, the car seat runs the risk of shifting, thus increasing the chances that the child's head will hit the front seat and the child will suffer various head and chest injuries. In the event of an accident, if the seat safety harnesses are left loose, the child will only be restrained by the pelvic area, so that his torso and head can hit violently against the backrest and the headrest of the front seat first and foremost his own support later, widely exceeding the established limits of injury.
Group 2-3, from 15 to 36 kg. The 'booster' lifter raises the child on the seat so that they can use the adult seat belt, which must be passed through the red guides located under the armrests.
- Good use. Most manufacturers recommend placing it in the back seats, however, the best protection is obtained when the child travels with the booster cushion in the front passenger seat and the seat belt has a pretensioner, even if the airbag is activated.
- Misuse. Passing the arm over the seat belt and riding with the belt placed over the hoist's horns is very dangerous since, in addition to injuries to the head, neck and chest, the child can suffer abdominal penetration of the seat belt. If you travel without the booster, the inertial stresses to which the child's neck is subjected are not only multiplied by 2, but serious injuries to the cervical vertebrae are very likely to occur.
Marisol New. Editor of our site
You can read more articles similar to Place the baby seat well in the car, in the category of child accidents on site.